Okay ^^ slackers
i just want to share this and i hope this wouldn’t & can’t be used for criminality or something !! :p
the case is when you lost your root password or someone change it silently. How to recover it ?
first, prepare the live CD for your slackware series , ex : slackware 12.1 livecd.
1. Power on ur computer
2. boot the LiveCD.
3. just enter when ask about keymap
4. Login as ROOT
5. know u are the root ! Mount ur root partition to a directory (lets’s make it)
6. If you forgot what partition is your root, type fdisk -l to check ur partition status. Lets agree that we have /dev/sda2 as the root in this case.
7. mkdir test
8. mount /dev/sda2/test
9. chroot test
10. vi /etc/shadow
11. u will see the root :<encryption number>:ID:0:::::
12. delete JUST the encryption number and replace it with blank or *
14. umount test
16. take the LiveCD from ur DVD/CD player
17. enter the slackware : login as root with blank password
18. change your password with passwd
19. finish ^^
alternative way after steps number 10 : if u are forgot or accidentaly delete ur ID and the number after it. We can trick this as long as you have two profiles.
For example, u have root and ‘antonie’ user. u remember the antonie password and u lost your root password. Just write to your root : …. : … :…. :::: exactly the same as the antonie has one. !!
then follow the 13-19 steps..🙂
that’s the simple way of mine to change the root password🙂
Hope this can help ur problem….^^
Love and Hugs,